Forget Nvidia, Cocoa’s The Growth Hustle

Nvidia has stunned the world with  80% capex growth this year – but there’s a better investment you could have made in January 2024: cocoa.

The price of cocoa beans, the most important raw material for making chocolate, has surged more than 120 percent this year, with cocoa futures temporarily trading at more than $10,000 per metric ton this week.

Cocoa prices have soared due to a global supply shortage, which has likely resulted in panic buys by some commercial buyers, driving up prices even further.

The world’s largest producers of cocoa beans, Ivory Coast and Ghana, have been hit by unfavorable weather conditions and black pod disease, resulting in lower cocoa yields compared to previous years.

Since the start of the season, arrivals at Ivorian and Ghanian ports are down 28 percent and 35 percent from the same period last season, the International Cocoa Organization (ICCO) said in its February report on the cocoa market.

For the 2023/2024 season, the organization expects a supply deficit of 374,000 metric tons, down from just 74,000 tons in the previous season, which ended in September 2023.

Given that there’s no easy or quick fix for global supply issues like this, cocoa prices are almost certain to remain elevated for a while.

Consumers will likely start to feel the effects later this year, as producers will eventually to pass higher costs on to consumers either in the form of higher prices or in the more discrete form of shrinkflation, i.e. smaller packages at the same price

Comments

One comment

1. Shortages! Hmm, I’m thinking of investing in Vanilla Bean myself, almost impossible to get “real” vanilla ice cream any more as opposed to artificially flavoured ones ..

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *