Deoksugung Palace (덕수궁)
Registered as Historic Site No. 124, Deoksugung Palace was initially not a royal palace, but a residential home of Grand Prince Wolsan (1454-1488), the older brother of King Seongjong (1469-1494) of the Joseon dynasty. It wasn't until 1593 that the palace was used as a temporary palace of the royal family after their home was burned down during the Imjin War. King Seonjo also stayed at Deoksugung Palace after returning to the city. It became a proper palace when Gwanghaegun (1575-1641) ascended to the throne and gave this royal residence the name Gyeongungung Palace in 1611. Over the following decades, the palace alternated between being an official palace and a temporary residence. The name did not change officially to Deoksugung Palace, meaning the “palace of virtuous longevity,” until 1907. While the palace once encompassed a vast area with many buildings, the current palace grounds are just a small shadow of the prior splendor, with very few structures remaining.